Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sisters and The Names They Call Me

I just finished reading a great book by Megan Crane http://www.megancrane.com/books.html called Names My Sisters Call Me. In it she tells a story of three sisters who have been estranged for 6 years mainly because of the actions of the middle sister at the older sister's wedding. It is a great story and I recommend it to anyone who has sisters.

At the back of the book she lists "5 names your sister calls you when she thinks you can't hear her. (or worse, when she's certain you can)". Those five names are Bossy, Snobby, Crazy, Selfish, and Just Like Mom.

Um, like those are BAD things? See, my sisters call me three of the five (that I know about). And I'm okay with that. Let's discuss.

First off is bossy. Being the third of seven children, I think this one just goes without saying. My bossiness comes out mostly when either people are indecisive or not following The Rules. It drives me batty to try to get together with people and decide on a restaurant or activity. Some people say "I don't care where we go" but when you make a suggestion, they say no. If you have a preference, say so. If you don't then that means anything I say is okay with you. Just DECIDE already!

Second is snobby. I AM but not how she means it in the book. She is talking about disapproving of one's life choices. I am snobby about sheets, ice cream and manners. And other things that I will think of later I'm sure. :)

Last is Just Like Mom. My mom can drive me nuts sometimes. But she's a strong, smart woman who does her own thing. And I am proud to be just like her!

Crazy and Selfish I haven't heard yet. But its still early in the week.

2 comments:

Suburban prep said...

I have that book on my to read list.
Thanks for the review.

FlipFlop Mom said...

OH NO.. I'm a middle child... and I've called my sister more than just those names.. GULP!!! Ü I'll have to check the book out!!