Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year!

Amazingly original title, huh?

We had a great time on New Year's Eve. Now, I am a girl who doesn't go out on New Year's Eve. While I was growing up, my parents didn't want us going out with "all the drunks and crazies" on the streets. Mom always put out a spread of all the things that we didn't get to eat the rest of the year. She would buy sticks of pepperoni, jars of cheese (can't believe now that I thought those were so high class), lots of crackers, olives, etc. We would all just snack, watch TV and play games until midnight when we would go out onto the front porch and bang pot lids together, making a horrible racket. We were the only ones on our block who did this so WE were probably the "crazies" that my parents warned us about. Hmmmm......anyway, we did not ever get to go out and I pretty much continued that way until now.

This year my sister saw that the bowling alley that is only about a mile from my house, on a local road (aka not a hotbed for drunks and crazies) was having a special deal where we could get a lane, shoes, pizza, soda, party favors and a champagne toast at midnight for about $20! What a deal and it sounded like tons of fun.

Oh how I wish I had pictures to post. Kathi put together a group of 10 people and we had so much fun. Some friends from my old church whom I hadn't seen in a couple of years were there, some of her husband's high school friends, some people she knows from work. That's one think about Kathi... she knows SO many people! We had fun imitating the dancing on the music videos that were playing (which is when I REALLY wished I had remembered my camera), catching up with each other, meeting new people, and I especially loved teasing Jim about how old he was since he was not liking the hip hop music AT ALL!

It was great to ring in the new year being active instead of just stuffing myself silly. But why did I feel like I had been drinking the next morning when I hadn't had a drop all night? Not even the champagne at midnight (because it gives me a headache). Maybe I should quit teasing people about being old! Something to consider anyway.

Have you ever heard the expression that what you do on New Year's Day you will spend your year doing? I heard that TWICE this year and I really hope it's not true. Because I spent the day cleaning house and bitching about how my left butt cheek was sore from bowling.

1 comment:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

That is hilarious! (About the complaining about soreness and whatnot). I never thought about that before...I think I spent New Years Day in my sweatpants. Not a bad way to ring in the year!
Carrie